Functional Safety Lead Systems
1. Position Overview
Romeo Power Technology is looking for a highly motivated, Functional Safety Engineering Lead to join our growing team in the Los Angeles, CA area. As part of a multi-disciplinary team, you will lead and apply ISO 26262 “Road Vehicles – Functional Safety” in a multi-disciplinary engineering team that is developing state of the art lithium ion battery systems for various markets.
This is a hands-on position with plenty of responsibility for the successful delivery of leading-edge energy storage solutions in the Electric Vehicle, Consumer, and Industrial markets. The environment is fast-paced and requires the application of critical thinking in demanding situations.
- Key Roles and Responsibilities
- The Functional Safety Engineer shall support project teams to achieve compliance to ISO 26262. The main roles and responsibilities include:
- Have an integrated view of product and safety lifecycle
- Planning and coordination of all ISO 26262 safety lifecycle activities
- Definition of project responsibilities regarding functional safety
- Derive hardware and software functional safety requirements
- Define safety goals and safety states at system, hardware and software components
- Perform hazard analysis and risk assessment
- Perform safety impact analysis of derived requirements at hardware and software level
- Allocate ASIL level to preliminary architecture elements
- Collaborate with engineering teams to develop the safety analysis and strategy at the system, hardware, and software level
- Align safety related topics with suppliers and customers
- Create and own safety compliance artifacts (e.g., Safety Case, FMEA, FMEDA and FTA)
- Guide, coach and support implementation of functional safety implementation on all levels (system and sub-system) of the project
- Responsible for verifying successful implementation of safety features and validating that required safety has been achieved.
- Create and publish reports regarding the functional safety compliance of the projects
- Lead and lead all activities of design verification and validation throughout product life-cycle management.
- Basic Qualifications
- BS in a relevant technical field (e.g. EE, CS), MS preferred
- 5+ years of experience and at least 2+ years in functional safety domain
- Expertise in functional safety standards (e.g., ISO26262 or IEC61508)
- Experience with hardware and software development in the automotive industry
- Experience with software configuration management tools
- Ability to work independently and adapt to changing priorities; Self-motivated and creative problem solver
- Written communication skills: Writes clearly and informatively; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Preferred Qualifications
- Expert knowledge regarding pertinent functional safety standards e.g. (IEC 61508, ISO 26262)
- Knowledge of, and experience with, failsafe concepts and strategies for safety related systems
- Experience with embedded control systems, hardware and software Knowledge of EV, HV or lithium ion battery systems
- Strong experience in Systems Engineering
- Understanding of ASPICE or CMMI
- Requirement management tools (i.e. JAMA, DOORS, Polarion)
- Requirement based automotive system development experience
- Good knowledge in FMEA, FTA
- Experience in managing and coaching people, a plus
- Master’s degree in computer or electrical engineering preferred
We are an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply.
Romeo Power is a startup company located in Vernon, CA. just south of Downtown L.A., we design, and manufacture EV battery technology for various electric mobility platforms. Several of our talented staff come from Tesla, SpaceX, Faraday Future, Karma and other known unique and powerful companies. We are a group of highly-motivated and extremely talented staff that is set on launching products that will revolutionize the EV battery industry in power density.
4380 Ayers Ave.
Vernon, CA 90058
Romeo Power’s founders have a track record for success. Our CEO’s previous startup is now the default mobile security solution for the major financials in the U.S. Our CTO and Co-Founder worked on energy storage and life support systems for SpaceX for 4 years before moving to Tesla rival Faraday Future, where he served as the Chief Battery Architect.