Our end-to-end engineering capabilities include cell science, mechanical, thermal, electrical, firmware systems, and stress.
The results speak for themselves – packs for every application that go further on a single charge, and last longer charge after charge.
ENERGY DENSITY UP TO 30% HIGHER THAN THE REST
Balanced modular and integrated design for superior range and power, at effective cost. With EV batteries, the greater the energy density, the longer the range. And the greater the power density, the better the acceleration. Both translate to efficient packs that perform better without taking up too much room.
Built-In Battery Management System
Charge fast and run stronger for longer. We can tailor the intelligent battery management system (BMS) in both Hermes and Brown Recluse modules to suit your specific application with proprietary algorithms that allow rapid charge and discharge at optimal cycle life. BMS features include:
- Voltage and current measurement, fault detection, and diagnostics with thermal control and cell temp reporting
- Control of pack contactors
- Battery status indicators (SOC, SOH, standard operating procedure)
- Passive cell balancing
- Safety controls (overvoltage, undervoltage, overcharge, short circuit, over temp / under-temp)
- Firmware updates
What We Do Better
- Advanced BMS based on control oriented physico-chemical models
- Advanced BMS parameterized for each individual cell design, and chemistry
- Enhanced state-of-charge (SOC), and state-of-health (SOH) monitoring, and estimation accuracy
- Improved mileage estimation
- Fast-charging optimized against cell aging mechanisms
- Highest heat transfer coefficient
- Compact proprietary cold plates
Innovative Thermal Management
For electric vehicles that go the distance, effective thermal management of the battery is key. Excessive temps across the pack not only decrease mileage, they also limit power output and shorten the pack’s overall lifespan. Whatever the climate, all cells and electrical hardware inside our packs stay in the optimal temperature range for safety, longevity, and performance.
Hermes uses active liquid cooling via water ethylene-glycol to maximize local- and system-level heat transfer so the pack stays at the optimal temperature at all times, even over the long haul. And the proprietary passive cooling system in Brown Recluse always keeps cells at ideal operating temperatures – we optimized the fin spacing of our heat sink to maximize heat rejection via free convection (an optional in-line heater ensures high performance in low-temperature applications).
Both modules are single-cell fault tolerant with passive propagation resistance, and the BMS will automatically shut down the battery system if measurements signal a likely thermal event. In the unlikely event of thermal runaway, modules exhaust hot gasses from the source to prevent fire from spreading while still maintaining a full weatherproof seal (meets IP67 and IP6K9K requirements for dust proof and water proof).
What We Do Better
- Develop thermal solutions based on clients power requirements with surrounding space in mind to optimize for performance and safety to ensure longevity of the battery system
- Perform detailed state of the art simulations in 1D and 3D space to gain confidence in thermal architecture before production and verify results with concept builds.
- In-house analysis capabilities with Amesim and MATLAB in 1D and Star-CCM+ and Optimate in 3D space.
- Team of highly educated and experienced thermal engineers working on concept development, optimization and correlation developments.
Cell Science & Engineering
Our methodology includes:
- Physico-chemical battery models validated for electrical, thermal, and internal states
- Optimized cell and materials engineering that offer higher performance and safety
- Enhanced half-cell analysis and internal state measurements
- Testing specific for individual cell design, and chemistry
- Cell characterization for fast-charging optimized against cell aging mechanisms
Electro-Mechanical / Structural Design and Materials
We develop electromechanical architectures holistic of the surrounding environment for maximum packaging efficiency, light weighting, and safety from conceptualization –> prototype development –> production.
In addition, what sets us a part within this part of the engineering process includes:
- Optimized proprietary in-house electrical, mechanical, thermal, structural methodologies for customers needs
- Comprehensive studies on all materials including corrosion tests, welding capability, and beyond
- Utilization of latest FEA tools for analytics of structural load path development, optimum material selection, and joining technologies
- FEA analysis capabilities include linear and non-linear analysis, vibrations, statics, crashworthiness, thermal, fatigue
- Design engineering capabilities in latest 3D CAD environment (Catia V5,V6) with relational design & parametrics for efficient design turnaround
- Use of machine learning for quick turn packaging studies
Power Electronics Engineering
Our technology includes:
- High Voltage DC-DC Converter development
- Integrated Solid state contactor and current sensor
- Selective Inductive heating of cells
- Inductive coolant heater, 50% more efficient than heaters in market
Battery Safety (Destructive Testing)
Our Battery Safety Test Lab takes a new approach to battery safety design, being extremely data driven and live by research. We aim to execute more in-depth testing than anyone in the industry.
By testing our systems to a much greater degree than anyone else in the industry, we gain a more in-depth understanding of critical battery safety designs and mitigations.
This results in an extremely focused approach to management & mitigation of critical battery system failures. Thermal event mitigation through intelligent venting strategies and a system designed to be single cell fault tolerant.