1. Position Overview
The Thermal Engineer will provide key design inputs to the hardware team, and also be very involved in the verification stages of product development, as well as providing on-going support to our production team.
- Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Design and investigate innovative thermal cooling solutions for hardware systems in large scale
- Contribute to thermal architecture for passive and active cooling systems.
- Create analytical and numerical models using various Computational Fluid Dynamics tools to describe system thermodynamics
- Develop and execute test plans to measure thermal performance/efficiency of products.
- Simulate and analyze module and pack cooling schemes.
- Engage Hardware Design team to ensure proper component design.
- Engage with external vendors including ODM and component vendors on design, test and production
- Develop and publish case studies/technical papers describing thermal analysis of cooling systems.
- Basic Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, or a related technical discipline or equivalent experience
- Knowledge of fluid dynamic and heat transfer (conduction/convection/radiation)
- Ability to create and read mechanical system schematics
- Ability to create mathematical, computational and numerical models of industrial cooling systems
- Skill with analytical and computational tools (AMEsim and/or Starccm+)
- Ability to do thermal validation with equipment such as data acquisition systems, air flow chambers, and environmental chambers
- Record of troubleshooting and analytical skills
- Masters or PhD in mechanical engineering with emphasis on heat transfer and thermodynamics with 2 to 3 years of experience.
- Skilled with analytical and computational tools (MatLab, Simulink, StarCCM+ , Microsoft office, and Lab View)
- Experience in Unix/Linux environment.
- Experience in custom-made heat sink design/heat pipes/vapor chamber.
- Ability to understand electrical architecture and its associated thermal constraints.
- Experience in two of the following is a plus: Consumer electronics / Automotive or aerospace thermal architecture.
- HVAC systems design and testing.
- Thermal controller architecture.
- Fan speed control algorithms (PID control, linear/non-linear control)
We are an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply.
Romeo Power is a startup company located in Vernon, CA. just south of Downtown L.A., we design, and manufacture EV battery technology for various electric mobility platforms. Several of our talented staff come from Tesla, SpaceX, Faraday Future, Karma and other known unique and powerful companies. We are a group of highly-motivated and extremely talented staff that is set on launching products that will revolutionize the EV battery industry in power density.
4380 Ayers Ave.
Vernon, CA 90058
Romeo Power’s founders have a track record for success. Our CEO’s previous startup is now the default mobile security solution for the major financials in the U.S. Our CTO and Co-Founder worked on energy storage and life support systems for SpaceX for 4 years before moving to Tesla rival Faraday Future, where he served as the Chief Battery Architect.